BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Goapele @ Yoshi's in San Francisco

Date: Sunday, May 1, 2011
Time: 8:00 PM.

Place: Yoshi's- San Francisco
1330 Fillmore Street
San Francisco CA 94115



“This spiritual love child of Sade and D’Angelo mixes sweet soul vocals, jazz funk instrumentation and hip hop rhythms by underground Bay Area beatmasters. Goapele can kick it in the streets as in the lounge.”

Rolling Stone

Goapele brings an infusion of fresh energy and a classic, yet new sound to R&B music with her sophomore set, Change It All.

The Oakland, California-based songstress broke onto the Bay Area music scene in 2001 with her ethereal EP, Closer, and the follow-up full length album, Even Closer. Released on her family-owned record company, Skyblaze Recordings, the album’s mix of soulful grooves and thought-provoking lyrics introduced the world to a multi-faceted artist and songwriter, known as much for her social and political activism as for her lush romantic ballads.

The granddaughter of German holocaust survivors and South African grandparents who lived through apartheid, Goapele knows the importance of giving back time, energy and resources to the community and the planet. “I’ve been involved in community organization since I was 10, so it’s naturally integrated into my music. One of the reasons I wanted to be a songwriter in the first place was so I could sing lyrics that I believed in and that come from my heart. I draw from my own experience and the experiences I’ve watched others go through. I want my music to truly represent me, instead of trying to fit stereotypes that women in this industry are encouraged to fit into.”

Note: Goapele is pronounced Gwa-pa-lay.
http://vimeo.com/5898495

To purchase tickets go to: http://sfyoshis.inticketing.com/

0 comments: